Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Amazing Tao Oracle

I have finally found an interpretation of The I Ching that actually resonates with me ie: I can understand it !

I got a copy of Ma Deva Padma's  Tao Oracle which is the 64 hexagrams of the I Ching as a card deck - each with the most exquisite illustrations. Unfortunately I can't do my usual quickie cut 'n paste to show them to you, as she is very adamant about copyright, as you would do, being an artist. If you go to her site here: http://www.thetaooracle.com/print-gallery.htm you can see some of her gorgeous paintings.

What I really like about it is her interpretations of the I Ching. I have several now - I work with R.L. Wing's Workbook, as well as the original Richard Wilhelm interpretations from the amazing online I Ching Oracle here: http://www.ichingonline.net/index.html and I downloaded a copy of Bradford Hatcher's interpretation after reading an interesting discussion about the I Ching on Mystic Medusa's site. The problem is that although between them I am able to get amazingly detailed responses to my readings, they just weren't making any sense to me - I just couldn't get my head around the message.

With the Tao Oracle, something in her interpretations just sings to me. It all makes perfect sense, and is perfectly lucid. I went back and used her interpretations for some of my previous readings and had several "A-HA !" lightbulb moments... Anyway -see for yourself - here is the very first reading I did - a straightforward three card spread:


The Corners of the Mouth
  • You are carrying too much weight in your head.
  • Simplify your life by eliminating anything which does not promote wholesomeness.
  • Nourish your relationships carefully, so that they may provide you and others with emotional sustenance.
  • Nourish yourself spiritually with meditation and prayer.
  • Envying what someone else has will keep you feeling deficient, even starved. Forget about what is on your neighbour’s plate and focus on how to provide for yourself.
  • Expecting others to provide for you is irresponsible, immature and selfish.
  • Do not hesitate to ask for what you need. Seek out someone who has the energy, wisdom or expertise that you lack and work together.
  • Pacing yourself is vitally important.

Progress
  • Enjoy the accolades; but keep coming back to centre, to your bliss. Focus on your work and your core interests. At the point that the applause is the loudest, you will have your greatest opportunity.
  • Turn your attention to what needs to be done and do it as best you can.
  • When you relax your grip, your hand will open. When you open your hand, you might find that it is filled with something even better than what you thought you wanted.
  • If you give 100% and at the same time stay relaxed and easy about whether you are successful or not, you can gain an uncommon satisfaction of a job well done.
  • In this way it is possible to ride the cresting wave and not get personally invested in your progress.

The Wanderer
  • Life is a journey and in that sense we are all wanderers.
  • It is our attitude to each step taken, not the number of miles racked up, that determines the quality of our existential reality.
  • Seasoned travellers know how to adapt and keep their needs to a minimum – keep your lifestyle uncomplicated – that goes for your state of mind as well as your luggage.



Which just happens to cover the ongoing major themes of my life for the last month or so - the Chuckarama, my anxiety over my inability to work out what my Bliss is that I'm actually supposed to be following, and my desperate need to live in Denmark, which just seems to be drifting further and further away from me. The line that really sings to me from the whole reading is this one:


When you relax your grip, your hand will open. When you open your hand, you might find that it is filled with something even better than what you thought you wanted.

I have had a death grip on what I want and the tighter I have grasped, the more it has slipped away. 
And this:

If you give 100% and at the same time stay relaxed and easy about whether you are successful or not, you can gain an uncommon satisfaction of a job well done.

I have been obsessing about my success, as measured by my Blog stats, and have been trying to adapt my Blog to what I think will get hits ie: my weight loss, rather than what I am actually interested in ie: divination, poetry, pretty pictures, interesting people. 

I have gotten some amazing things out of focussing on my weight loss, not least of which is the publishing of my first e-book; but the thing that matters the most to me is the people who have written to me, thanking me for showing them a different approach to eating, that has enabled them to lose weight and feel healthier, and this has nothing to do with Blog hits and everything to do with helping other people. That really IS satisfying enough for me...






xxx Molly


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention of Tao Oracle, I've ordered my own copy (Libraquarius)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its just gorgeous. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me :)

    I have been getting a series of "Unfreezing" "Beginning" type readings, which ties in very well with Mystic's discussions about Saturn finally moving on again...

    I ALWAYS think its a good sign when my divinatory methods start echoing each other !!

    ReplyDelete