I have been feeling very uncreative and questioning of my path again recently. Do I really want to be a healer ? Do I want to be a singer ? Do I want to be a weight loss coach ? I spend a LOT of my time pondering my path...
and then this popped through my inbox:
Seeking applications: AP's Tour of Ireland 2012
International opportunity for poets: Australian Poetry's Tour of Ireland 2012.
Seeking:
Two established Australian poets to participate in a reading circuit of leading festivals, events and venues in Ireland for a one-month tour in May/June 2012.
Dublin, like Melbourne, has recently been named a UNESCO City of Literature. This tour aims to explore the similarities, differences, opportunities and possibilities which might be derived from Ireland and Australia sharing this common bond.
You receive:- Return airfares to Ireland and transfers to reading / event venues
- A fee (which includes per diems and reading fees)
- Accommodation in Ireland
- Reading spots at leading festivals and venues – tour to coincide with Dublin Writers Festival, the Bealtaine Festival, The Strokestown Poetry Festival, Listowel Writers Week (full itinerary to be confirmed)
To be included in application: - Applicant’s full contact information (must include email, phone and postal details).
- Applicants will need to have published two or more books by reputable publishing houses (self-published works are not eligible). Please include three copies of two books with application.
- A one-page CV of your literary achievements, including contact details of two professional referees.
- A maximum of two letters of support.
- The applicants must submit an additional one-page cover letter outlining:
- What they hope to achieve from the tour
- What makes them a good ambassador for Australian poetry
- How they would further promote Australian poetry and the Tour (e.g. maintaining an associated blog)
Note: Please enclose 3 copies of all application material.
|
And now I am nearly in tears. Talk about WANTING something !! I love poetry. I love reading it, I love writing it and I even love dissecting it :) And yet that little voice in my head says to me "That's stupid. Who ever made money as a poet ?" you know, apart from Thomas Kinsella, who I used to go to the Drunk Poets with, who ended up a visiting Professor of Poetry at Yale....
AAGGGHHHH !!! Now I am crying. Poisonous green tears of pure jealousy..... This makes me heartsick - the anatomy of desire outlined in green ink and a thousand scratchings-out.
SO. Rather than blubbing and carrying on I am going to Grok it, dammit. My Grok Girl push is working really well, so I am going to Grok Girl my Poetry, to overextend a metaphor :)
For a month, I am going to be a poet. A real poet. I am going to write poetry daily. I am going to go to poetry readings. I am going to go to Poetry groups. I am going to submit poems to magazines and competitions. I am going to go through my back-catalogue and pull out everything worth reproducing, and reproduce it. I am going to self publish a chap-book and submit it to a publishers to be published "for real". I am going to do everything in my considerable power to make sure that in 2013 I have the wherewithall to put my name down for the Poetry Tour of Ireland. Dammit.
This is something really worth desiring. I'm going to make it happen.
xxx Molly
No comments:
Post a Comment